Monday, March 10, 2014

Early 2014 Headphone Progress Report

Recently I had a friend ask me, "so how are your headphones going? Are you close to production?"
This was a difficult questions to answer, but I'll try my best...

I'll start by restating that the ultimate goal is to develop a set of true surround sound headphones that are a more intuitive experience than other products on the market. The headset must also have good sound quality, be adjustable and comfortable, durable, and aesthetically represent the gamer's ambition to win.

Previous Kickstarter Campaign
I plan to use Kickstarter, a crowd funding platform that is open to all interested consumers, as an avenue for sales and distribution. I need to meet two goals before I can bring this product to the Kickstarter community.

First, I need a final prototype that demonstrates its functionality and near final aesthetics. I want their to be no question as to what the final product will look like and how it will function when removed from the box.

Version One
The second necessity is a scaling plan of manufacturing and assembly based on sales. For example, in the interest of distributing an affordable product it may be more cost-effective to bring the injection molding process in-house up to 5000 units, but beyond that point it may make more sense to out-source.



Neither of those lofty goals have been completed, but looking back on the Nathaniel Custom facebook page I can see the amazing progress that has been made towards them. As of this moment, I have a first version prototype with a functional amplifier that drives the speakers in a near-final surround sound experience.



Version Two Modeled



Where the first version falls short in sound quality, the redesign (dubbed the second version) is engineered to address these issues. In excited anticipation the second version is at the printers and is expected to arrive by the end of the month.









Snippet of Details
There are still many details that need to be worked out. Some details build upon others. For example, I've barely touched upon the comfort and aesthetics, but as the designs in functionality (surround, sound quality, adjustable) become more defined, these aspects will unfold.

By the end of the year, I can see that I will have a prototype that meets all of my function goals and a good start on the aesthetics and comfort.


No comments:

Post a Comment